Have you ever thought why a product that has worked for someone does not work for you? One of the major reasons could be the difference in skin type. In order to practice an effective skin care regimen and get the maximum benefit, it is important to know your skin type.
Every skin is unique but to make the process easy, skin type has been categorized into four types – Oily, Dry, Combination and Sensitive. Our skin might not fit into a single category. Our skin gets influenced by both external and internal factors. External factors include environmental conditions (pollution, sun exposure), skin care regimen, etc. Internal factors include skin disorders, genetics, hormones, diet, medications, etc.
HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR SKIN TYPE?
You can follow these three simple steps to identify your skin type:
- Start by washing your face.
- Leave it in its natural condition and do not apply any product.
- Wait for an hour and closely examine your skin.
|1.||Tight and a little flaky||Dry|
|2.||Shiny and greasy||Oily|
|3.||Oily on the T-zone, Dry on rest of the face||Combination|
|4.||Itchy, irritated and have a little bit of redness||Sensitive|
(Photo Credit: Clear Essence)
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN TYPE?
- Dry Skin Type: lacks both water and oil. Dehydration is one of the major causes of dry skin (along with genetics), so drinking water and avoiding diuretics (coffee, alcohol) will help a lot. For products, avoid ingredients like sulphates, benzoyl peroxide, etc and look for ingredients like Hyaluronic acid, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Vitamin E, etc.
- Oily Skin Type: is caused due to the overproduction of sebum. Avoid ingredients like Sodium lauryl sulphate and Alcohol in products. Instead, look for ingredients like Vitamin C, Witch Hazel, Tea Tree Oil, etc. If you suffer from acne, products containing Salicylic Acid, Benzoic Acid will be beneficial.
- Combination Skin Type: is caused by genes and overproduction of sebum in the T-zone. It can be difficult to treat since it is a mixture of both oily and dry skin. For products, avoid products containing alcohol and other irritants. Look for ingredients like Honey, Lactic acid, Antioxidants, etc.
- Sensitive Skin Type: is caused mainly due to genetics and hormonal fluctuations. Avoid harsh ingredients like parabens, synthetic fragrances, mineral oil, sulfates, phthalates, etc as these may lead to allergies. Also, keep scrubbing to the minimum since it’ll cause irritation and redness. Look for ingredients like Aloe Vera, Rose Water extracts, Chamomile, etc in skin care products.
I hope you found this post helpful. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.